Dedication of the Study Hall
At ceremonies held on February 25, 2000 in the Class of 1944 Memorial Room, Athletic Department and Class of 1944 officials dedicated the newly decorated, "open for business" study hall for student-athletes. Envisioned by Beth A. Howland, Coordinator of Student-Athlete Support Services and promoted by former Director of Athletics Charles H. Moore, the new study hall added yet another multi-purpose aspect to the widely used '44 Memorial Room.
The dedication was attended by many of the coaches of the Athletic Department and formalized the dual purposes of the new facility that had been used as a study hall by student-athletes for several months prior to the ceremonies. In quick order, '44 President Dotty Kesten welcomed all, cited the recognition by some 248 of her classmates of the current and future need for the dual-purpose room, and, on behalf of all 1944 members, then presented a $5,000.00 check to Laura Toy, Cornell Fund Representative, for credit to the Class’ existing Tradition Fellowship.
As program chair for the "Class Renovation Project" that provided tables, chairs, computers, and other support equipment for the study hall, Art Kesten commended '44's University support team for their all-out assistance. The team included Chris Crooker, Individual Giving Officer; Sarah Holtzapple, Public Affairs Officers; Beth Howland; Laura Toy, Director of College, Unit & Project Development; John Webster, Director of Development for Athletics; and Pat Graham, Supervisor of Facilities.
Kesten also cited the program support the Class had received from three on-site Ithacans: '44's Bob Ballard, Howie Evans, and Dan Morris, and also recognized the presence of Anita M. Brenner, '87, Associate Director of Athletics and Senior Woman Administrator; and Tom Lafalce, Jr., Assistant Director of Athletics. As a last action, he presented a Class of 1944 check for $5,000 to Director of Athletics J. Andrew, Jr., for unrestricted use by the Department.
The Class’ four-month fundraising drive had raised more than $41,000 for the Renovation Project, well in excess of the funds needed to fully renovate the former "bare bones" room with its knockdown picnic tables and folding camp chairs.
A modest program - a more than modest underwriting response from the members of '44 and many, many grateful student-athletes for an attractive, quiet, comfortable, and convenient study hall.
|Website maintenance by One Bad Ant|